We all love a good side hustle. In today’s job market, it is common for workers to have more than one gig or to work a day job with some freelance work on the side. And for many professionals, this side gig involves driving. Whether driving for a limo service or a rideshare company, this gig can bring in the extra cash you need.
But is it for you?
There are many reasons to turn your own car into a rideshare or pick up some shifts with a limousine company.
- You can earn extra cash: This is the most obvious perk, but it’s perhaps the most important. When you drive a rideshare or limo, you can get paid pretty well for a gig job. And since 50% of limousine service is for business and corporate customers, you can often get lofty tips.
- Your schedule is up to you: Especially if you’re driving for companies like Uber and Lyft, you decide when you work. So, if you have the time and need some extra money, you can put in more hours.
- You can meet new people: When you drive people around, you can often learn interesting stories and become a more well-rounded person.
For all the benefits of driving a rideshare or limo, there are also some downfalls.
- Peak times are not always ideal: In most cases, peak driving times are late at night. So, you could potentially put in long hours in pursuit of extra income.
- You could lose a work-life balance: With that said, it can be easy to use all of your free time to work as a driver. In this case, work-life balance can slip away.
- Your city might not have a market for it: Some cities are more lucrative than others when it comes to ridesharing and driving. So, look into this when you decide how much income you are looking for.
When deciding whether this side hustle is for you, be sure to consider how the above factors will fit into your lifestyle. If it works, jump behind the wheel. If it doesn’t, there are plenty of freelance gigs out there.